The biggest featherweight bout of all time is coming to Las Vegas Sat., July 11. At UFC® 189, Jose “Junior” Aldo, the featherweight champion of five years, will defend his title against the UFC’s latest phenomenon, Conor “The Notorious” McGregor.
Both confident featherweights, these two have been eyeing one another from afar for some time now. McGregor has had his eye on the prize of being crowned a champion as he has climbed up the ranks, and Aldo has not been oblivious to McGregor’s bravado.
Let us not forget McGregor jumping over the Octagon™ to come straight up to Aldo seated in the stands moments after he beat Dennis Siver at UFC® Fight Night 59, in Boston earlier this year.
Take a look at how each of these fighters stack-up and my prediction on who will prevail!
Fighting Out Of: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Walk-Out Song: “Run This Town” by Jay-Z
1. Undefeated ChampionAlthough there is a chance he could lose his title, Aldo has been the champion for five years. At only 28, it would appear he is not going anywhere. He still has plenty good years left in his fighting career.
2. Killer Kicks“Junior” is known for his deadly kicks. They are strong, painful and strategically performed to hit opponents where it hurts. He first made the danger of them known when he fought Urijah Faber and left the opponent in crutches due to the intensity of landed kicks he suffered.
3. Calm Before the StormOne of Aldo’s best qualities is his ability to remain calm. He is a counter-puncher, remaining in control and letting his contenders come to him. The Brazilian is always relatively passive until it is time to go all out. He is a master at saving his energy. Then, when he feels it necessary, he unleashes the beast.
Conor McGregorRecord: 17-2-0
Fighting Out Of: Dublin, Ireland
Walk-Out Song: “Foggy Dew” by The Chieftains
1. His ReachMcGregor has a four-inch advantage over Aldo in reach. With that significant of a difference between the two’s reach, it could really make a difference in the fight’s outcome. What is more is that McGregor knows how to use his long arms to his advantage.
2. His Active Striking“The Notorious” is the most active striker in the featherweight division. I predict he has no problem coming into the Octagon™ swinging.
3. His ConfidenceYou would have to be living under a rock to not be aware of “The Notorious.” His confidence and bold attitude has been witnessed by all over the last year. He has no problem telling you he is going to win and that he will be the new champion.
Prediction: Aldo via DecisionAlthough there is no denying the fact McGregor is a force to be reckoned with, there is only one Jose Aldo. I do not see McGregor being able to knock Aldo out. Both fighters have endurance, and I think this fight will go all five rounds.
See UFC® 189 LIVE!
You can see all these two fighters go head-to-head LIVE with UFC VIP Experience’s Official Ticket Packages!
With packages, you will receive #UFCVIP status and will have exclusive access to the on-site VIP Hospitality Party Room, complete with a gourmet buffet and open bar. While hanging in the suite, you will have chances to meet Octagon Girls™, MMA legends and current UFC® fighters!
As a UFC VIP, you will even get behind-the-scenes access at UFC® 189, including access to the pre-fight weigh-ins, official fighter Q&A’s, Octagon™ tours, and more!